For me writing the small object/large subject essay was very intriguing. There are so many small objects in contemporary American society that speak volumes about the morals and values held within the society. In the beginning I was completely clueless as to what to write, but as I sat and really thought about things that consumed our day to day lives a lot of “stuff” came to mind. I came up with credit cards, Blackberries, energy drinks and many more. The one I decided to write about was diet pills, however I did discuss a diet plan in the actual essay. All I could think about were television ads for Alli, a diet pill, and Jenny Craig, a diet plan. There are plenty more commercials promoting weight loss, and I am confident that I can safely say that all of the spokeswomen are “skinny” and the spokesmen are “fit.” Therefore, discussing the contemporary American society’s view on appearance was not a very difficult task. In our society appearance is held on a high pedestal. This ideal body is one that is “skinny” or “fit.” Many strive to achieve this for reasons such as health, fear caused by the obesity epidemic and because they think that they are “fat.” If I may have a personal moment; I can honestly say that this is one value that I do not care for. Yes, I aim to be healthy, of course I want to look good, and no I do not want to become “fat,” but “skinny” is not in as far as I am concerned. Health should be the main concern....and then appearance.
Friday, February 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment