Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Derrida: "Fear of Writing"

Derrida sometimes fears his own thoughts because they are unconventional. I believe that this fear Derrida encounters is directly linked to his "thinking outside of the box." However, I believe the best writers and the best thinkers are those who overcome this fear and embrace their unique minds. He has already stated that he does not regret what he writes and therefore, he should not fear his own thoughts.

This fear, however, that Derrida has encounters is the reason why I believe he does entrust the written word with power more than just because words are powerful. It is because his thinking is unconventional. The unconventional nature of his thoughts can be misinterpreted. This goes back to the idea that language is a slippery vehicle and Jones’s description of language as an image. The painter can paint a meaningful picture in a way that sets him apart, but its interpretation varies with each viewer.

I am one of those people who when coming into the world of individualistic thinking and writing was taken back and fearful of the thoughts that entered my mind. However, I embraced these thoughts as my own and no longer cared whether or not they were unconventional. Because of this I do understand where Derrida is coming from. Yet still, I believe thinkers should take delight in their unique minds and take pride in what they think and most importantly understand the fragility of language.

No comments:

Post a Comment